Graphic design is a process or method of visual communication and problem-solving, using space, image, type and color. It is also known as communication design and considered as an art of planning and projecting ideas and experiences using visual and textual concepts. It is a form of communication that can be physical or virtual and may include images, words or graphic forms. It enhances transfer of knowledge and visual messages. An effective graphic design must be readable and legible and these can be enhanced by visual presentation and layout of text.
Graphic design is commonly used for creating identity, like branding and logos. It is also used for publications, print advertisements, billboards, posters, website graphics and elements, signs and product packaging. Composition of a graphic design is an important element, especially when using diverse elements or pre-existing materials.
Applications of Graphic Design
- Marketing a product through visual communication. It is applied to corporate or company identity such as logos, packaging, colors and text. When combined together, they are defined as branding. Branding is becoming more important in the different services offered by graphic designers, along with corporate identity. Branding is more of the identifying mark or trade name for a product or service. Corporate identity has something to do with the structure, philosophy and company’s image to the outside world.
- Textbooks are designed to present subjects like mathematics, science and geography. These are publications that need layouts that illustrates diagrams and theories. A very simple example of graphics used in teaching are the diagrams of human anatomy. Graphic design is also applied for formatting and layout of educational materials so that information can be accessible and easily understood.
- Signage is an advertisement on large public spaces such airports, commercial centers and convention centers. They depend on graphic design to communicate information quickly and economically, through the use of color or symbol that is visible and can be read even from a distance. It is currently known as “architectural graphics” or “environmental graphics.”
- Entertainment business uses graphic design in creating scenery and visual story telling. Graphic designs include novels, comic books, opening and closing credits in filmmaking, programs and props on state.
- Information design is used in newspapers, magazines, televisions, blogs and film documentaries to inform, as well as to entertain. Graphic designers use interactive tools to illustrate the background to news stories.