The term traditional graphic design refers to the old method of creating an artwork that starts with sketching on paper with the use of pencils, pens, brushes, clay and other tools. Shaping a drawing on paper is faster and more instinctive and intuitive. Traditional graphic design uses different techniques and some of these techniques cannot be duplicated in digital graphics.
Significant Marks of Traditional Graphic Design
- Traditional graphics allows the artist to use different mediums to give texture to his artwork. He can thicken the paint by applying thickeners or make it rough by putting fine grains of sand. The application of the oil paint or watercolor also gives texture to the artwork. He has more freedom to use different brushing techniques.
- The texture of the paper or canvas differentiates the artwork in terms of quality and effect on the viewer. A rough surface can be visually active while a smooth surface can be visually restful.
- The traditional way in creating graphic design uses a wide range of tools, including those that are products of the creative mind of the artist. Instead of using brush, some artists use knives, cotton buds, or anything they can think of to give different effects. Instead of the usual canvas or paper, some artist have ventured into using barks of trees or wood stumps.
- The most significant mark of traditional graphic design is the physical experience it can give to the viewer. He can not only see the artwork. He can touch it. He can feel it. Viewers get involved in the artwork by testing its texture with the use of their hands. The feel of that painting as you touch it connects you to the painting itself, as well as the painter.
- Traditional graphic design has more freedom to use different pigments to produce colors. They can blend and mix the pigments to their satisfaction.
There is not much difference between traditional and digital graphic design because both use the same art concepts like balance, color theory, harmony and contrast. They just use different styles and techniques. Digital graphic design is considered as natural extension of traditional graphic design as a result of the digital evolution of human civilization. In this age where everything that surrounds us are becoming digitalized, graphic design is taking its own course towards the digital world as well. It has to follow the trend.