Digital design is a branch of graphic design where computers, graphic tablets and other electronic devices are used to produce graphics and designs which are used for web, television, print and portable devices. Digital designs use software programs to create pixel-based images. Some of these software are Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Dreamweaver, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe InDesign and many more.
Pixel-based images are photographs and graphics composed of very small red, blue and green dots that are called pixels. Pixels comprise the screens of computer monitors and other electronic devices. Digital design are used to produce patterns of products such as consumer goods, houses and others.
History of Digital Design
Digital design started when Johannes Gutenberg invented the movable mechanized type and other developments in typography. This led to the rapid changes in graphic design and typography. Printing books and text were made easy, quickly and efficiently. It led to the progressive development in the printing and graphic design industry. Even today, many of the fonts, typefaces and measurements were still in use.
Scope of Functions of Digital Graphic Designers
- They provide service to clients or creative directors. They work to develop the design ideas provided and specified by their clients.
- They develop images or graphics that convey a product for a navigation menu for a website or the cover of books.
- They use most of the aspects of the design such as colors, images, text styles and overall layout.
- Most digital graphic designers use computers and graphic design software.
- They work closely with writers who will provide the words that appear on the design.
- They also work with advertisers and marketers in designing promotional materials.
- They present their design to their client for approval or to incorporate changes that the clients wants.
The specifics of the digital design process depends greatly on the companies or individuals seeking the services of a digital designer. Some large corporation take the responsibility for the research and definition stages. Digital designers get a creative brief from their clients. They then divide the concept creation stage into one done by hand and one that is computer-aided.
The scope and type of project determines the amount of time to do a digital design. Designing a brochure takes longer than designing a logo. The speed of the design process also depends on the client or end-user. When the client fails to provide effective feedback, it slows down the process.